Yes, that's right, we FINALLY got the results of Brynn's visit to the PCRCD in New Jersey! I open the email from Dr J and see a chart with a whole bunch of words that I have never heard of and numbers that I have no clue what they mean. (SIGH). At the bottom of the chart, this is what Dr J reports:
Relatively low production of counter-regulatory cytokines (sTNFRII and IL-10), but she is starting to produce TGF-b.
High IFN-g production with soy protein.
Th cell cytokine expression-relatively skewed to Th1 (IFN-g) in response to polyclonal T cell stimulant (SEB).
Responses to TLR agonists are within normal limits.
HUH???
So, I fwd the email to a good friend, a fellow FPIES mom, who has done a ton of research on
FPIES and ask her if she will de-code this for me. I also emailed Dr J back and asked her a few
questions to help me understand what these results mean. After reading their responses, as well
as staring at B's chart and googling TNF-a, IL-6, IL-1b, IL-10, IL-12p40, sTNFRII, TGF-b (the only
one I already knew, lol), CCL2, IGN-g.....Ok you get my drift. I had to good pretty much everything.
I then had to look at Brynn's specific corresponding number and figure out what the heck that meant.
At the end of a few LONG days of emails and decoding, the results are as follows:
We need to stay away from dairy, soy and wheat...the 3 things Dr J tested. Soy being the most
important one for her to stay away from. Dr J said what isn't something we should trial anytime
soon, but that somewhere down the road, she may be able to tolerate it. She is building TGF-b
(counter-regulatory mechanisms)- just not quite enough for these foods, but shows that her body
is getting there (it does know what to do- it just needs more practice and time).
Yea for results! :) A plan of action to conquer this illness!!!
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing Jill, we are going through exactly the same thing today. Crazy, meaningless numbers and lots of words I've never heard before strung together... now back to interpreting.
ReplyDelete