I love Christmas--the music, the goodies, the family gatherings. It's just such a great time of year and I can't wait! The kids are going to see Santa tomorrow and then the festivities begin! Brynn has never opened a present before, so we'll see how that goes...I'm sure she'll like the paper and boxes more than anything!!
FPIES news: After the sweet potatoes pass, we trialed pears, which was also a pass! She just loves them and she seems so happy to be able to sit by us at the table during dinner and eat too! We've also noticed that she has been sleeping better at night...YAYYYYY! Granted, I'm still pulling her into bed with us for portions of the night, but she is going a lot longer between bottles now. She used to be up every 3 hours to eat and now she will typically have a bottle between 8-10, and then go until the morning when we get up for the day!
A few days ago, we started to trial corn. We started with KIX cereal and she totally enjoyed that too! She was a little weirded out by the texture the first time I put one in her mouth (they were cut in half), but after that, I couldn't put them in her mouth fast enough. She also loved pushing them all over her high chair tray (and floor of course). Unfortunately, we decided to stop the trial after the first ingestion. Later that night, she had a pretty questionable diaper. The next day, daycare reported that she had another 2 questionable diapers and was very "off" the whole day. When I went to pick her up she just looked drained (even though she had just taken a 2 hour nap). She had bags under her eyes, she was clingy and her bottom was VERY red and sore. She also had 3 dirty diapers between 5-8 last night that didn't look so great. Sometimes it's so hard to tell if it's the food or if she has something else going on (like teething). Just to be safe, we stopped the food trial...if she returns to her normal, happy self (and better looking diapers), we'll know it's the corn. If she gets her first tooth soon or continues the off-behaviors and questionable diapers, we will re-trial corn sometime soon.
I was so anxious for corn to be a pass. It would open so many doors for my little girl. She could have finger foods (kix, corn chex), but she could also have a hot cereal (corn grits). I know it's awhile away yet, but I can't help but think of her 1st birthday and the fact that she may not get to have some sort of bday cake. Another mom's blog has some great recipes to try though...one being a sorbet (so a safe fruit, sugar and freeze it in a cute shape like a cupcake or something). I'm thinking about trialing another fruit and veggie (a berry and carrots probably) and then possibly quinoa (a pseudo-grain). I am told (by some very knowledgable FPIES moms) that there is a quinoa flour and quinoa puffs too. We could maybe make muffins for her with the flour and a safe fruit!! I'm getting pretty excited about quinoa as we speak! Now I just have to find a store that has quinoa! There is a Good Earth Food Co-op in the area, but I haven't been there yet. Otherwise Trader Joe's is an option, but it's a haul to get there and I don't have a lot of time!
Have a VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS! Enjoy your families and the time together!! (and the goodies!!) =)
No comments:
Post a Comment