Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Broccoli or blueberries?

Last week, we started a broccoli trial.  Well, actually, about 3-4 months ago, we started a broccoli trial, but Brynn got a cold after the first 2 days, so we ended up stopping the trial until she was feeling better.  So I guess I should say we are getting BACK to the broccoli trial.  She actually loves it, she uses a spoon and eats it all by herself! 

We decided to get away for the holiday weekend, so (after our basement flooded due to a busted pipe) we headed to my parent's cabin.  On Sunday, she had her sixth exposure to broccoli, and up until then, we hadn't noticed any symptoms that would lead us to believe we should pull the food.  At dinner, we gave her 5-6 blueberries (which she can normally tolerate).  Well, I was feeling guilty because she wanted more SOOOO badly, so I gave her another 5-6 and she gobbled them up.  A few hours later, the diapers started.  Her bottom was completely raw within the amount of time it took me to grab a diaper and get her changed.  This continued the rest of the day and the following 2 days.  Diaper changes are awful right now because she SCREAMS because it hurts so bad.  She was waddling like a duck the last few days because she is so sore.  She can't even take a bath because the water hurts her.  =( Poor baby. 

So, was it the broccoli or too many blueberries? I have always been somewhat iffy on blueberries and tend to blame them a lot.  Maybe we should just pull them completely.  Or was it the broccoli? She didn't show reaction symptoms up til that day, but then again, it could have been building.  With bananas, we didn't see anything until day 4.  So maybe we saw a broccoli reaction on day 6? I'm stumped.  I guess we have to pull both for awhile and, once she gets back to baseline, try one of them again? I hate to cause pain if I don't have to, but I think we need to know which one is the culprit so she can hopefully keep 1 of them in her diet, rather than pull both for good.  Wish us luck!

1 comment:

  1. This blog came up in my google search...did you end up pulling the broccoli? Was it a reaction? I am curious...we are on day 3 of broccoli...thought I saw mucous on day 1 but then thought I was imagining it...today she had a diapee full of broccoli, her typical rash, and a sewage smelling diaper...I am at a loss as to what to do!

    ReplyDelete