Friday, August 26, 2011

Update and Functional medicine

WOW! It has been such a busy summer, I'm embarressed that I haven't blogged in nearly a month!! Yikes!  I will start where I left off with the last entry!

New ped:  I brought B to her 15 month well-check with a new doctor.  She listened to what I had to say and wasn't too judgemental about the whole situation, but I still don't think she understands the situation.  She was more concerned about getting Brynn off of bottles. UGH. That is my absolute last concern.  Her EleCare is her only source of real nutrition, I don't really care how she drinks it. Yes, she gets sippy cups throughout the day, but only with water or her new juice (JUICE!!!! YAY!).  For some reason, she just doesn't care for her formula in a sippy.  She spits it out and just plays around.  Like I said, she NEEDS to drink her formula. Plus, I don't want to waste her formula by her spitting it out.  This stuff is expensive!

Tomato:  It wasn't the WORST fail, but it was bad....it was a LONG recovery.  We will be staying far away from anything containing tomotoes.  Good thing neither Danny or I eat them.  Cody loves them, but we will leave that to the grandparents.  =)

Functional medicine:  We saw a homeopathic doctor and she immediately took interest in Brynn.  Not only did she want to treat the symptoms, she wanted to get to the root of the problem and take care of it from there.  We did some off the wall kinds of tests (so strange, but whatever works!!) and tried to figure out some homeopathic meds to try to heal her, from the inside out.  The first one she wanted us to try contained rice product.   I immediately said no way, can't do it.  She insisted that she shouldn't react to this type of rice, but I knew better. I know how sensitive our little FPIES babies can be.  She somehow talked me into at least trying the tiniest sprinkle ever (after MUCH discussion).   Against my better judgement, I agreed.  I still don't know exactly why I agreed.  I cried the whole way home and talked to numerous people who all thought the same thing: you won't know unless you try...this could be the one thing that really helps her.  So, I got home, and put literally a tiny little speck of the medicine in her bottle.  I apologized a thousand times to her and cried while she drank it, then put her to bed. I immediately packed up her diaper bag, made sure I had her ER letter, and packed a bag for myself, ready to head to the ER.  I (impatiently) awaited the 2 hour mark.  I talked to a good friend who helped me through those 2 hours.  Then, exactly when I expected it, the screaming started.  My poor baby was in so much pain.  She wouldn't let me hold her, she wanted nothing, she just rolled around on the living room floor, screaming and crunching up and stretching out.  I knew it.  It lasted about 50 minutes or so, and finally she asked for a bottle, which calmed her down.  She stayed up for about another hour and I just rocked her while she settled in.  Never again will I go against my better judgement.  =(

I consulted with the dr the following day and we decided to wait a couple more days and then move on to the next med.  I thought this one would be ok....she tolerated it until the next day. We pulled it right away as her bottom was so sore she couldn't even sit or take a bath.  I told the dr that we would wait at least a week before starting the next med.  The next med we tried is supposed to balance the yeast in her body and she is tolerating it. We are still increasing the amount to work up to a full does, but she is doing well!!   We also tried one more, that is supposed to work on her gut flora and she is doing ok with that one too! Slowly but surely.....

No comments:

Post a Comment