We started a quinoa trial on Sunday. We used the flakes and it ended up looking somewhat like oatmeal, but didn't smell/taste very good. We decided to mix it with her pears and she gobbled it down and cried when it was gone!! =) It's so great to see her eating, but at the same time, it's frightening. I'm so scared of a reaction. So many questions run through my mind for the next 2-3 hours...what if it's a full-blown reaction and she ends up in the ER? What if she is in agonizing pain for hours? What if she fails this and she has to go the next 2-3 weeks trying to heal her poor little gut? On the other hand, I have other thoughts going through my head as well...what can I create with this food? Can I make her some sort of finger food? Can I bake anything? What about a birthday cake or a muffin? A bread? A treat?
Sunday went very well, as did Monday. Tuesday I got a call from daycare saying she just wasn't herself--no smiles, laughs, babbling...just pretty much "there". She also had two questionable diapers; soaking through her onesie, pants, crib sheet, mattress pad....
Last night she didn't sleep well at all. She wasn't screaming in pain all night, but she was just restless and...well...awake. And sleep disruption is definitely a symptom of a reaction. We didn't give her the quinoa last night. I got a call from daycare again today that she has had a couple more questionable diapers. UGH. I had such high hopes (again) for this trial--we would have been able to bake, have a cereal for breakfast etc.
So is this the start of a fail? Do we try again tonight? Maybe she's teething. Maybe she's catching a bug. Maybe maybe maybe. It's so hard to decide if we press on with the trial or give up on quinoa. It's all a guessing game with FPIES. I don't think she's been in real pain yet, but I also don't want to push it too far and cause the pain. UGH AGAIN!
I hope it's not a reaction. This grain is a good source of protein too. :(
ReplyDeleteI think you are good mother to pay such careful attention. I wish there were an easier way to determine which foods will cause problems and which ones won't.