Monday, September 9, 2013
New allergist
Today, we will be checking out a new, LOCAL allergist. I have heard that others have had positive experiences with him and we are in need of an allergist....or any doctor at all to help guide us in the right direction. So, cross your fingers (and toes)!! We have had some uncertainties in the last year. Brynn has experienced some symptoms that don't seem to fall under the FPIES category, but we have just been managing them on our own. Don't get me wrong, she has progressed and is doing very well, looking very healthy etc, but I feel like we need more guidance--or ANY guidance would be nice... (after all, I am NOT a real doctor...I just play one). =) As you probably know, she has also been diagnosed with eosinophilic gastritis and eosinophilic colitis. The GI doctor who diagnosed Brynn literally said, "wow, it seems like you got struck by lightning 3 times! All 3 of the diagnoses are so rare."......and then a few minutes later, basically said "well, good luck!!" So, our goal today with the new allergist, is to get someone who will guide us and work WITH us in figuring this all out. We haven't done a whole lot of trialing foods recently. Brynn is content with her safe foods and is completely done with her formula. She will occasionally ask for some, which we let her have of course. I can't say no to a little boost in nutrition. She really wanted to try some regular peanut butter a couple months ago and that turned into a success. She is enjoying her Natural Skippy peanut butter (only 3 ingredients!!). We attempted to re-trial apples and bananas, but she still had reactions to both of them. We did, however, retrial green beans (basically because we were at Grandma and Grandpa's house and everyone else was picking them from the garden and eating a few here and there and she wanted to as well!) and it was a pass! She isn't a huge fan of them, but we do get a few in her at least. =) A couple weeks ago, we re-trialed eggs. She had a scrambled egg Saturday morning and one Sunday morning. We didn't see any symptoms at all. Monday and Tuesday were crazy days for us, so she didn't have eggs those days. Wednesday morning, she woke up covered in hives and feeling itchy. We gave her allergy meds, which seemed to clear them up later in the day. Thursday, she woke up with hives all over. Again, we gave her the allergy meds and hoped they would go away again. They did not, and then she started complaining of a "yucky" throat. What does "yucky" mean to a 3 year old? Does it mean she has a sore throat? I know you can get a rash with strep. Does it mean she was refluxing from the egg? Reflux is one of those symptoms we see occasionally that we aren't really sure why. It would fit under the EoE (eosinophilic esophagitis) category, but as far as we know, she doesn't have that diagnosis. Or does "yucky" mean her throat was itchy or worse, felt like it was tightening? We, fortunately, haven't had to deal with any IgE (regular) food allergies as of yet, but it could be that too. I had my fingers crossed that it was strep (Yes, I'm that crazy mom who HOPES for a simple illness like Strep, so we don't have to add more to Brynn's list of food issues). Friday morning, when she was covered again, I brought her to the doctor, who was convinced it HAD to be strep because it wouldn't make sense to have a reaction to a food she had eaten days prior. Haha. Both the rapid and 24 hour strep tests were negative. The doctor we saw also thought it was just crazy that we don't have a doctor taking the lead for us. I (kind of jokingly?) asked if she wanted to be that doctor, and she just chuckled, so I took that as a no. =/ We clearly haven't given her eggs again and we won't until we know for sure it wasn't caused by eggs or until we have an epi pen on hand as a precaution. Over the course of the summer, we have also realized she reacts to gnat and mosquito bites. She swells like CRAZY. She had a bite on the side of her head, like by her temple, and she woke up in the morning with her eye swollen shut. She had another one on her forehead and it looked like she fell and cracked her head on a cement floor. The bites on her legs are just as bad. Poor girl. I'm hoping the allergist will test today for at least the eggs and bug bites. I will post an update after her appointment, probably tomorrow. Fingers crossed for a brave allergist, who wants to help us figure this all out and guide us in the right direction!! Thanks!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment