So, we did it. We re-trialed corn....and PASSED!! I can't believe it, this is so awesome! We used kix cereal again and I wish everyone could have seen her face when we gave the single kix to her on the first day of the trial. She smiled, she giggled and she just looked at me like life was great! Until she figured out I wouldn't give her more. Then her mood changed, haha!
I stopped at Trader Joe's last week and found corn tortillas (corn flour, water, lime), which I think will work great. I'm excited to make her PB&J sandwich (sunflower seed butter and strawberries). I have a feeling she will love it! I also want to try corn chex and polenta and see what I can do with those! If anyone has more ideas on what we can try with this new pass, let me know!!!!
Last week, my mom and I took Brynn to an Integrated Health Clinic to see a doctor. My mom has Crohn's disease and this doctor has helped her, so we thought we would see what her thoughts were on FPIES. Overall, it was a great appointment. The first thing that caught my attention, was a test called the ALCAT test. This test differs from other food allergy or sensitivity tests as it accurately and objectively measures leukocyte cellular reactivity which is the final common pathway of all inflammatory triggers. The test is a simple finger prick blood draw and tests 20 foods: apple, barley, beef, broccoli, cane sugar, carrot, corn, cow's milk, garlic, gluten, lemon, orange, peanut, pork, rice, soybean, sweet potato, tomato, tuna, and turkey.
Something else I just thought about was a test I had done on myself a few years ago. I chiropractor was just opening and had advertised one free session, so I decided what the heck and made an appt. While I was there, they did a test called the ZYTO--I put my hand on this machine and had to keep it there for 3-5 mins or something like that. On the sheet I got, it says that this info is not an indicator of food allergies or food sensitivities. It is simply data showing your body's degree of response to computer signatures that have been linked to the foods indicated. Anyway, the top 5 foods that it says that I may choose to avoid are RICE (Brynn's biggest trigger), american cheese, ciggarette smoke, millet and pecans. Very interesting.
Could either of these tests be possible predictors of FPIES triggers? I'm thinking about cutting out the top 5 foods on my list and then re-introducing them to see if it makes a difference for me. We are debating on doing the ALCAT with Brynn. This doctor doesn't take insurance so nothing would be covered. She was an amazing dr though... we just had the consult and she was very interested in FPIES and right off the bat said "Ok, we need to figure out what is causing all of this and what we are going to do to fix it". She thinks B probably has an overgrowth of yeast in her body, which is what we were thinking as well. But it's not like we have a pediatritian that I can call and say "hey, this is what I think is going on with Brynn, can we try an antifungal med to see if it helps?" The doc we currently have would look at me like I was nuts, lol. The integrated health dr wants us to come back for a more in-depth history or Brynn's life as well as my pregnancy, she wants us to do a yeast in children questionairre, and she wants us to talk to the nutritionist she works closely with to help figure out what is going on. We have never had a dr that REALLY wanted to help us. It just sucks that NOTHING we do with this dr will be covered....it's going to get spendy. We need to figure out what we are going to do.
The last couple days we have been trialling cucumbers. She doesn't seem to be a fan of them, she just picks around them. Oh well, we will try them a few more times--just enough to call them a pass. Hmm what to trial next?? =)
LOVE IT! I love stories of success and helpful doctors. ESPECIALLY when so many struggles and looking for answers. GREAT JOB! Hooray!
ReplyDeleteHave you done the ALCAT testing or gotten anymore information on it? I'm interested in this, as my son and I are struggling with intolerances, possibly chronic FPIES.
ReplyDelete